Saturday, February 8, 2014

I love House of Cards more than a Shark loves Blood.

House of Cards has completely taken over my life...although I really don't have one to begin with. When I tell people I love the show they really don't take my word for it. As I am a huge Kevin Spacey fan. He doesn't really do anything wrong in my eyes. So when I tell people to give it a shot they kind of roll their eyes at me. I started to say I came for Spacey but stayed for everything else. This seems to get there interest a little more. A brilliant cast, a fantastic created and main writer that I honestly wasn't aware of at the time. Lets say I am completely aware of him now. Directors some of them I was more familiar with their work than others. The show has been completely hooked.  I have seen Season 1 at least 12 times and an additional time with the commentary on. Which I really enjoyed. My hope is that they re-release them on Blu Ray. I hope Season 2 has commentaries maybe this time have Beau and some of the cast as well.

In the first scene Frank Underwood kills a dog. While I am not a fan of killing animals I was immediately hooked. The balls of this show killing a dog in the first 2 minutes. Not many shows on cable or paid cable would do that. The broadcast networks wouldn't touch that scene with a ten foot pole. But this is the golden age of streaming. The rules are different...thankfully. House of Cards also breaks the fourth wall which takes some getting used to. The first episode it threw me and I was a little uneasy about it. But the second episode I craved it. I wanted the subtle glances, smart ass comments. It made the character more deceitful in my eyes.

The cast does a fantastic job. The scenes with Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey are amazing to watch unfold. I still don't know who is more ruthless of the two. Wright has this ability to make you feel for her character in the beginning of the show then you quickly realize she is just as cold blooded as he is. The way she is able go toe to toe with Spacey is very fun to watch. Hell if this show was just 50 minutes of the Underwoods you couldn't keep me away. They both have affairs, backstab others to get what they want. The episode where she turns on him is one of my favorites. The Underwoods are a different type of couple but they do get shit done at no costs.

There really is no weak link in the cast. A majority of them I had never heard of and I immediately searched what else they have done. I think it's fair to say the Corey Stoll will not need a job for several years. He was the a complete unknown to me, but damn if he wasn't fantastic. He plays a drunken fool full of charm like no one I have ever seen. Michael Kelly, Kate Mara, Constance Zimmer, Kristen Connolly, Sakina Jaffrey and so so many more.

I can't wait to see Season 2 and 3. In my heart I don't want this show to end but it inevitable will. Hopefully we the audience will get satisfy ending. Although I don't think anyone in this show should get a satisfying ending. I can't recommend this show enough. What Beau Willimon has written is a show that is beyond anything I could have ever imagined. It will do for Streaming what Breaking Bad did for cable. He better make some room on his shelves for all the awards that will rightfully come his way.




No comments:

Post a Comment